Monday, January 9, 2012

Some of the Positive amd the Negative

Good morning all. I was discussing with someone very special to me. Someone comfortable with asking questions about my dealings with this cancer that has invaded my body which in turn invades the  lives of those I love and who love me.   I was telling her that I haven’t blogged because my sense of humor and good attitude is not always the mood I can easily access. But then I asked her if that was fair to someone else who might be going through the very same things I am. Would I make them feel better by only being up and funny all the time? Would they think less of themselves because they didn’t have such a good attitude about their experience? She said I should blog it all. So here goes.

Disclaimer                                                                                                                                                                 There will be days where I will not feel like typing. So if I blog on those days there may or there WILL be grammatical errors. I won’t feel like doing corrections and won’t care.  Words may not be capitalized, the ‘may be missing, there may be a. where there should be a ?. Please just read like we were having a conversation. 

The Positive, so far.

This disease has definitely improved my relationship with my Maker. My prayer life is more focused and not just for myself but for others as well.  My list of thanksgivings is so very long.  My relationship with Mike is amazing and with the diagnosis of my cancer we are even closer. We never take each other for granted and we never have. I love that man so very much. We are so much a part of each other. Ok, ok enough mushy stuff.  My family! My family is good medicine. Each one  is a dose of something special and much needed. All of you amaze me. I know I am loved but I guess I didn’t realize how many and how much. I have so many people loving and praying for me.  I know that is more powerful than any medicine or surgery that I receive.  Thank you all so very much. The prayers, the love, the cards, emails, posts on Facebook, letters, etc., just amazing.  Of course my doctors, with your prayers for them and me, seem to be making decisions that are especially right for my cancer and its personality.  I know there is much, much more, but for today I will end with one more item on my list of the positive, my medi-port. It was surgically implanted just below my right shoulder. We place a dollop of numbing cream about an hour before treatment. When the time comes, my oncology nurse tells me to take a deep breath and then she inserts a huge needle into the center of this device. Nothing! I feel nothing!! Hooray!  I see the nurses attempt to start the IV’s the usual way, and they have trouble and the patient hurts.  I am most grateful to not have to do that for every treatment.  

The Negative, so far,

Having cancer sucks!! The oncology nurses wear tee shirts that say the very same thing.  When I am not grateful for having the medi-port, it is a reminder that no matter how well I feel, I have cancer. I see a circle shaped lump under my skin, I touch the lump and sometimes, not all the, but sometimes I get really scared. Or I get really angry. Or I just cry. In Bishop we always leave on the light in the bathroom, we have always done that so the kids could find their way. Here in the apartment we didn’t do that. But since my diagnosis I am very uncomfortable in complete darkness. I don’t know why but fear sets in. Debbie sent me this: Never fear in the darkness what you believe in the light. So I am working on that. But that is just a little bump in this walk of mine.  Of course side effects from treatment are not pleasant but have not been too bad. I do still have my hair oops, that should be a positive.

I am going to go for now because the weather here in Duckville is getting stormy. And I am going to sit outside and enjoy it. I wish Mike was here, we love storms. Have a good week everyone. I love you and thank you for your love and prayers. I could NOT do this without each of you.
Later, I will send update on the treatment details. For now, I will tell you that I have graduated from
Taxol to FAC, which is a combination of three drugs. It was predicted that my hair would turn loose this week. I guess we will soon see.
Comments gratefully accepted.

5 comments:

  1. We love you so much and I enjoyed the extra hugs I snuck in on Saturday - I hope you passed a few onto my favorite Uncle Mike. Please share good, bad, and everything in between. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing so eloquently your walk through your personal, enlightening and perilous journey. You are an amazing woman. I could never say that enough.

    Reese and I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a gift of words that are honest and get right to the heart of the matter! All of us fear something whether real or imagined and each of us will have to face those fears one day. You are giving all of us permission to open up and give it to God and our family and friends. I so wish that you were not going through and yes, cancer does suck! But you are an amazing woman and your humor and warmth have been our gift from you or years. Thank you for that and just know your name is whispered and also shouted to God continuously! We love you. Ross and Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing Beth. I agree with Jenny please continue good, bad and in-between. I hate that you have to go thru all of this, but I'm also very grateful. I get to see God's hand on your life and it grows my trust and faith in Him as I see Him love you thru your family despite this cancer, which I agree sucks. Even through my prayers for you I get outside myself & see others who need prayers as much if not more than you. I love that even as you listed your negatives you were able to see a positive! Love you, Shawnda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beth! I couldn't agree more that you should blog about during various moods. I'm pretty sure you've encouraged my transparency in the past. ;) But, I know for a fact that my writing has touched more lives when I was open and honest about how I REALLY felt about our situation.

    Thank you for always being a light in our life. Praying, praying, praying for you during this time.

    Much love,
    Stacie Smith

    ReplyDelete