Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I am a blessed woman!

Good morning loved ones,
Tomorrow is the second treatment with the new meds known as FAC. It is a combination of three drugs, Fluoraouracil, Adriamycin (aka the Red Devil) and C for Cytoxan. I also get a baggie of steroids and one with medication to keep my tummy sane.  The first treatment caused what felt like a little morning sickness.  I asked Dr. Sehgal if the second treatment would be more difficult. He refused to tell me insinuating that I might convince myself to have the side effects that he might describe. I informed the good doctor that I planned to NOT have any ill effects from the treatment. He likes to pick on me and I respond well to good humored “abuse.”
I was so pleased to still have my hair at my doctor appointment last week. It seemed shortly after bragging to Dr. Sehgal, my hair began to come out in small clumps.  I postponed the inevitable hoping the thinning would stop.  On Tuesday, the hair just kept coming out and not just when I tugged at it but it filled my brush every time I ran it through my hair. I really didn’t expect this event to bother me. I have been buying caps and scarves for just this moment. But as I looked at the pile of hair in the trash can, I cried. I felt completely helpless. I felt like I was completely at the mercy of cancer.  What else was this disease going to take from me? I so want to travel with my husband and grow older with him. I want to see my grandchildren graduate from high school. Well, that panicky runaway train of thought was careening toward the proverbial cliff but I pulled the cord and ended that useless path.  Oh poor, poor me!! That ride lasted about thirty minutes.
I prepared a nice dinner for Mike. After dinner, I manned the clippers and at his request, sheared off Mike’s long silver hair.  We ended up with the number two comb for the clippers. Mike chose to be first so that I could decide how short I wanted my hair. Then it was my turn, bring on the number two comb! As my hair fell to the floor, I thought, “Take that cancer! “  It felt so good to be free of my rootless mane!
Mike finished the clipping. He looked at me. He looked at my head. The expression in his eyes agreed with his choice of words when complimenting me on my new look except that his eyes used breathtaking adjectives.  I am a blessed woman.
I showered and applied a few cosmetics. We then took pictures of our bare heads and texted them.  All of our responses were very positive. I am a blessed woman.
You are the reason that Mike and I are not just enduring this disease but we are thriving in the light of your love and prayers. Thank you from us both.

2 comments:

  1. Beth,
    You are beautiful inside and out. Such a wonderful writer too! Thanks for sharing with us such a deeply personal and difficult journey. You are and continue to be our hero. We love you so very much.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. You know I don't get completely how it feels to lose your hair to cancer. But, I was very saddened when Gavin's hair fell out. It just made it all that much more REAL to me.

    Continued prayers for your healing. Hang in there.

    Much love,
    Stacie Smith

    ReplyDelete