Sunday, October 23, 2011

Plan of Attack

     We met with my oncologist on Friday, Dr. Sehgal. We really liked his straight forward attitude and explanations. And he has a great sense of humor. The tumor in my left breast is large enough to warrant chemo before surgery. Then when I am finished with this round (I guess that is the word) I will have surgery. Surgery may be followed by radiation and more chemo. It is all so frightening right now but we both were so relieved to have a good doctor and a plan. There are a few steps first. Tomorrow, Monday, I will have surgery to install my medi-port. I imagined having a device the size of a thermostat hanging from my chest but actually it is the size of a nickel and implanted under the skin, I believe. Tuesday I am getting a PET scan, not sure whether to take the cat or the dog har har. Wednesday I have an Echo cardiogram, 2D.  Most likely I will receive my first dose of chemo this week, which I will get once a week for 12 weeks. And then I will get another chemical combo for another 12 weeks.  We are both very positive but eating and sleeping are not quite what they could be. This has been like a rollercoaster, up and sure one second and the next visit instills more fear than positivity. What really works well is we are either in the same good mood or the opposite so we can talk the other back into confidence.  WE WILL SURVIVE THIS!! So next October we may be planning an African Safari (cameras not guns) or a trip to Hawaii. 
     On a lighter note, we had a great time on a double date with Heather and Jerry last night and saw the movie "Courageous."  It was so good, we loved it.  If you have not seen it please make the effort and let me know what you think.
     Again, family and friends, we love you and we absolutely cherish your prayers. It boosts our confidence and allows for some slow breathing. My husband, Mike, is so amazing. We really do know and feel just how deep and devoted our love is for one another. God sure knew what He was doing when he brought us together. Thank you Lord!! And thank all of you, we love you very much.
excuse grammar and spelling errors ....
  

No comments:

Post a Comment