Monday, July 7, 2014

Treasure

The greatest compliment that Beth ever received was from one of her cousins from Kentucky.  After visiting our house he turned to her and said "Y'all don't need much, do you".  This touched her deeply and she always remembered it, because it was true.  From the very beginning of Mike and Beth all we wanted was, to be together.  We loved God, each other, and our children.

This was not always the case though.  After seven years of marriage we let the world creep in and it resulted in separation and divorce.  I think that God wanted us to realize the real treasure in this world. When we came to our senses and became aware of our loss, we re-married.  That was a dark time in our lives. We forgave each other and just wiped it from our past. With that lesson behind us and the knowledge of real treasure, we resumed our lives.

We have never been a couple to pursue the nicest, biggest house, car, lots of money, etc. Those things were not as important to us as just being together and raising our family.  If that is your dream, it doesn't mean that I am judging you in any way, it was just not for us.  During some of our concerns about income and making ends meet, I would tease her that we may move into a cardboard box in the park but we will still be together. Her sincere reply was; "It doesn't matter. Whenever I hold your hand, I am home. Home is not a place".  She would often remind me of this.  No matter where we were or the circumstances, when she took my hand, she would sigh and say "home".  Especially during the time she was fighting her disease.

Matthew 6:19-21 MSG
"Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or-worse!-stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it is safe from moth rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being."

I know where my treasure is, split between earth and heaven.  My children and grandchildren here on earth and my sweet Beth in heaven.  I have all my hope in Christ Jesus so that again I will have a day, when she takes my hand, sighs and says "home".

Good night my sweet Beth. My treasure.

Pappy

No comments:

Post a Comment